My blog at Uni

To contact me via snail-mail, email me!





An Inexplicable Dream


Guess what I went to go and see last night?

Ever since I heard Kaos were back with a new show, I've been dying to see The Kaos Dream. Missing the performance in Norwich in October left me feeling muchly miffed, but a quick glance at their website soon revealed they were actually coming to Wakefield as well. I'd been nagging Sri to look at their website in a bid to get her interested in going with no success, and it was just by chance that I mentioned to Elena on the way back from our last-minute dash to Norwich a few weeks ago that there was this show by one of my favourite theatre companies on in Wakefield that I desperately wanted to see but would be missing (all buses would get me back to Leeds too late). Elena's Mum had also been to see the show in Norwich and had recommended it to her, so it was quickly decided that a road trip to Wakefield was in order.

As usual, I was not disappointed. If it wasn't for the fact that the show closes in Wakefield yesterday, I'd tell anyone and everyone to go, because defining and describing such an experience is absolutely impossible with the restrictions of the English language. Simply put, it was awesome. The interpretation of the text was the most original version of the Dream I have seen to date, with it making so much sense in a "Ohhhhh, that WORKS! How did I not SEE that before??!" kind of way. It was the first piece of theatre I've seen since... let's face it, Kaos' adaptation of Moll Flanders, that actually had me rolling about in the aisles. A brilliant, hilarious, clever production... can't say much more than that (well, I suppose I could, but not without going on in a drama luvvie, fangirl fanatic way).

The real shame in all of this boils down to two things. The first, that although I'd rung up expecting to be shoved at the back of the auditorium since I'd booked my tickets so late, I wasn't. It became blatantly clear why this was when we arrived at the theatre. Although we couldn't see the entirety of the stalls from where we were sitting (the dress circle, of course dahling), the dress circle seated a maximum of 15 people for the third performance (the one we went to) at the Wakefield Theatre Royal. The stalls didn't seem overly full either, although there was at least one rather rowdy school party there. Basically, the theatre wasn't even half full. How awful to perform to such few people towards the end of the run of a show? The second shame? It's their last show. With the Arts Council withdrawing their funding last July, on Saturday, Kaos play their last performance of their Dream, and their last performance as Kaos, to a theatre in Manchester. If you can get out to Manchester this weekend and have never seen Kaos, go!
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

At 1:54 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds cool, but not my kinda thing. Glad you had a good time! Looking forward to seeing you this weekend!    



» Post a Comment